"Some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run." - Pre

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Oh what a weekend!

Yup! This weekend was epic. I will try to cover everything, but Limo is making pancakes so this might be shorter than I intended ;) We just finished a 9-mile run (jog for him) and boy my hamstrings are screaming at me. I only ran three times last week, but those times included one half-marathon race (last portion of a half-ironman tri), a 20-mile easy run, and that 22x1 mile repeat session. Best week of running ever! The milaege wasn't that high but the intensity sure was!.

Anyway, my week started out with birthday day on Friday. Happy 22 to me! Off to the track @5AM 'cause I was going to a wedding with Limo in Dallas that day. A wedding! As if my day needed to get any better :D I love weddings :) But anyway, I get up @4:30 to stretch and it's pouring outside. Even though it was warm, the outdoors just didn't seem that inviting and the only thing that got my sorry butt out the door was the desire to start my 22nd on the right note. So off I went! Starting out, I wasn't too sure what to think. But it didn't take too long for my mind and body to adjust...boy I'd missed the track!

It went something like this:

Miles 1-3: oh boy, speed speed speed. Yay. This is boring, I feel like a hamster. Is it possible to get dizzy from whirling around a quarter-mile track? Yes, I think so. Ahhh this is gonna be fun. Why am I doing this again?

and yes, after that first mile, despite my best efforts to NOT think about this, I couldn't help but think: "1 down, 21 to go". Oh boy.

But things got better. After the first two repeats, I divided the workout into 4 sets of 5 repeats. After the first 5 were down, I knew I was a quarter done so that really helped me out mentally. I kinda vegged out for the next several repeats, just thinking about life and stuff. Then my Mom showed up! She's a beast - after going to her Master's swim class, she came to the track and ran about 7-8 mile repeats while I finished the last 11. It was awesome.

It kept raining on and off, with an occasional downpour, but that actually helped drive away some of the heat. I was so grateful! The last few repeats were actually the hardest, despite my mental boost from knowing I was almost done. I've been having issues with tight hamstrings and a sore hip for a while now, and boy they started complaining towards the end. Ouch! But I just dealt with it, 'cause after all this was my birthday workout and no wimping out allowed! Of course, I never "wimp out" anyway, but occasionally I will be smart and cut a workout if needed. At least I think I've done that...maybe a few years ago. I don't remember ;)

But anyway, once I got through that workout I was on top of the world! Felt great, legs were trashed, but tons of mental energy. There is just nothing like driving back from the track in a torrential downpour, relieving the epic workout you just did and thinking about a warm yummy breakfast. Only for me, that breakfast was one of my (delicious!) green smoothies, which everybody but me thinks is absolutely disgusting. Lettuce in smoothies is not gross, people! Don't knock it 'till you try it.

A quick shower later and I was on the road...for nearly 7 hours. The drive from SA to Flower Mound is usually about 5 but the traffic was at a standstill in several places due to scared and stupid drivers (sorry, what can I say...). But I picked up Limo and we got to the wedding with several minutes to spare. And what a wedding! Mate and Lucy and the cutest couple ever and I am so excited for them. Their wedding was the most beautiful I have ever attended; so much fun!!! What a night.

The next morning, Limo and I met with some of his friends to talk about his vision for a church, an orphenage and a running camp in his hometown in Kenya. We're so excited for the things to come :) Then we headed back to SA so he could meet my family. As I'm writing this the morning after, he's sitting beside me, somehow still alive. If one can survive one day with the Lindner family, they're good to go! As I mentioned earlier, we just finished an awesome run and now we're off to make and eat pancakes. Then it's Church, and off to the Riverwalk to see an IMAX and tour the Alamo. WHAT A DAY!!! We're gonna finish things off with a track workout in the PM. Wish us luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment