"Some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run." - Pre

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Back in Lubbock/insane 100K race/etc!!!

Yeah, these next few weeks are gonna be crazy! I'm off to Lubbock tomorrow for a bunch of meetings with USAT and all the collegiate tri teams in the South-Midwest region. Too soon, I'm going to be finished with my two-year stint as a regional representative/conference director for the South-Midwest region. I can't believe it...really going to miss this job. I got to meet the most amazing people, and visit Seattle, Washington and Colorado Springs, Colorado - two of the most beautiful places on earth. I'm still thinking about working full-time for USAT later, living in Colorado Springs would be incredible. These next two years in Lubbock will be full of big decisions...

Speaking of Lubbock, I'm being an idiot and, like last year, driving there and back from College Station in one day. 14hrs of driving is gonna kill me. But I have a TON of studying and writing to get done this weekend, so I just want to get those hours put away by Friday so I can have the rest of the weekend to study and swim. SWIM! Off on a tangent now...at the pool today, I met this awesome new professor at A&M. He's gonna be teaching medicine, and so cool he's a swimmer! He asked me to teach him some stroke technique, and after doing that I told him about the book Total Immersion, which is pretty much how I taught myself to swim. It's a great book, even if you're a good swimmer I recommend reading it. But the prof and I had a great conversation about scuba diving, history, medicine, Texas Tech, and hockey. Random but totally awesome! I LOVE the incredible people you can meet through sport; that is definitely my favorite thing about training and racing. What's the point of it otherwise?

But what else...oh yeah, this 100K. Umm, I don't really know what to say about this one. I decided to nix the New Orleans 70.3 because my training just wasn't coming along as well as I hoped. I'm in great endurance shape now - I swam 8000 meters at a strong pace earlier today and felt great the entire way. I can run for hours without getting tired, but cycling is as usual - decent but not where it needs to be. Come to think of it, I've never been happy with my cycling fitness, more than likely because I just don't like the sport enough, or care enough, to train like I need to. Guess that's why I'll always be a better runner than triathlete! :D I really need to work on speed, which is my sole focus this summer. But for right now, I'm skipping New Orleans because I know that it just won't be the race I want, and though normally I'd use the experience to bolster my training, I can't afford to dissapoint myself right now. It's been a tough semester, mentally at least...But I really wanted another race this semester, 'cause after all, what's the point of intensive training otherwise? There's no ironman around this time (except for St. George which is finals week, no way!) so my only other option was running races. And what's the point of just another marathon/50? I've already done that. So despite the fact that I haven't done any ultra-specific training since February, I signed up for the Free State 100K, held April 24 in Lawrence, Kansas. I'm really excited about this one, 'cause not only is it going to be my first 100K, but I get to stay with a great friend who I haven't seen in a while - Chris Steil! He's awesome and offered me a place to stay, and is even driving me to and from the race, 'cause after running 100K the last thing I want to do is drive myself anywhere! I remember driving back to CS really late at night after a tough 50-miler...ouch. Never again if I can help it!

So that's that...hehe I've told some people about this 100K and they've sweetly offered to make funeral arrangments for me. I love my friends ;)

Well, it's getting late and normally I'd head off to bed or study some more. But since I'm leaving so early tomorrow, my run is going to have to be SUPER-early, as in 3AM. Fun fun. I know that if I go to bed now, I'll do my usual shut-off-alarm-and-fall-back-asleep and leave way late and miss the meetings in Lubbock. I slept from 11AM to 6PM Wednesday, and 9PM to 8AM. Best day/night of sleep ever, and now I'm well rested and ready to tackle this crazy boring day tomorrow. So I'm going to treat myself to some reading for fun now :D Like I said next week is insane so I may not post again until after the race on the 24th. But I'll do that ASAP so you guys know that I'm still alive ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment