"Some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run." - Pre

Friday, March 12, 2010

Coming on strong...

Well I had originally decided not to post on this blog until after I graduate in May. But after reviewing the benefits of keeping a food and training log, I realized that I might also profit from recording random events in my daily life. Actually writing down what and when I do things will hopefully help me stay on track. Senioritis, anyone??? You'd think that with the end in sight I'd put my head down, study like crazy and just see this thing through. But no, I've been getting distracted lately by things that would never ever capture my interest. The other day I watched TV with my Corps buddies for a while - which is epic for me. I NEVER watch TV, ever. I've been wasting time on the computer and just vegging out too. I just can't concentrate!

I blame this partly on my recent discovery of ultrarunning- man oh man I am head over heels in love with this sport. There's just nothing like heading out for a long run, not caring where you go or how long you'll be out, just exploring the countryside. Granted College Station isn't a great place to explore; the training here is awful. But if I carry enough chia fresca and peanut butter/honey/date wraps to last me several hours, I'll just loop around for a while, and eventually come upon a new route. The other day I got in some speedwork when three snarling dogs decided that my heels looked tasty. If I could only muster up that adrenaline rush during the latter stages of my races! haha. But I really have to muster up the determination to study now - I'm doing fine in all my classes except Latin, and if I don't pass that class I don't graduate! And since it's one of my required courses for my major I have to get at least a 'C', not just a 'D'. This means I have to ace the final...boy I have my work cut out for me. But I know I can do it...I just have to focus on being a student instead of a triathlete for the next few months. I should probably stop reading all the pros' blogs...

But on another note - it's now officially Spring Break! And how am I celebrating? By going to bed of course. These past few weeks have been pretty light training weeks for me, both because I needed to recover from two recent 50-mile trail races (sooo much fun!) and also because I wanted to be fresh for what is going to be the most intense training week of my life. Starting Sunday, next week goes as follows:

Sunday: 18mi tempo run on a crazy hilly course, and a 10K swim. I love longish swims.

Monday-Friday are pretty much all the same - I'll swim with my Mom's Master's swim group @5:30, and be on the bike by 8:00 for 5-7 hours of steady riding in the hills. I LOVE the Texas hill country! I'll follow those rides by a short t-run, just to remind my legs what's up.

Saturday is an epic 120-mi ride (hopefully I'll be able to muster up some friends to accompany me) and an 8-10mi tempo/transition run. That's gonna be a fun day for sure :D

I'm definitely looking forward to hitting the training hard, and of course seeing my family! We're going to see several movies and just mostly relax. Oh and I'm going to cook and bake like crazy - i love a well-stocked kitchen! I have several recipes to experiment on, and I'll be sure to post them here, along with some pictures. Sweet potato truffles, choco-coconut-oat granola bars, new green smoothie recipes and nut/seed butter are only a few of the items on the agenda :)

Tomorrow is an easy 3-5 hour ride, whatever I'm feeling, and a long swim @the Bryan Aquatic Center. And then I go HOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment